OUR ATRINA JOURNEY

Monday, February 7, 2011

Recent cooks

Not much of cooking since it's the CNY :D

Cooked extra stock for steamboat so that Bean can have her favourite noodle soup for lunch the next day. She is not a fan of bee hoon though. More of a macaroni girl.



Oh long time no eat porridge so I thought cook fish porridge for her after feasting on junk food for the past 5 days. It seems like she had forgotten how to appreciate toddler porridge :(



Inspired by my SIL's stir-fried oyster mushrooms with butter, I decided to replicate it at home. I added scallops but my version was nowhere near my SIL's! Can't believe it. And I'm the SAHM who cooks very regularly while she probably cooks once in a blue moon. K refused to touch the oyster mushroom (ditto my SIL's version) and barely touched the veggies. He survived that night's dinner mostly on 四神汤 (not pictured) with rice.



Did Aglio Olio ala scallop the next day (just to test of K will repeat his everything don't eat attitude). Don't forget he is the ultimate PASTA HATER!!! Well, he probably didn't dare to pick on the food anymore. Not since he was ignored for the past 24 hours for wasting my oyster mushrooms. *me beams* And I also realised I had undercooked the scallops about 4 days later. *LOL MAX* If not for the day during steamboat session my sis pointed out how a fully cooked scallop should look like, I would still continue serving half-cooked food to my family. On the bright side, Bean was fine after eating it. On the brighter side, hey I just further built up her imunne system which is already by the way very good! *me double beams* On the brightest side, let's say I have just proven myself half-sashimi eater since I can eat half-cooked seafood without realising it. *me triple beams*



Tea eggs. Tea bag courtesy of my neighbour. Actually I snatched it home cuz I realised it would be better for me to cook it and distribute some to her than the other way round. Besides following the packet instructions I also added in 3 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick and many slices of 当归. The flavour wasn't very intense and there was no 当归 smell. Probably I should crack the shells more and simmer for a longer time instead of just 2 hours per the packet instructions.



1 of my favourite combination of dishes. Crispy pork belly with bee hoon.


Know how to make the bee hoon taste extremely good? After frying the roasted pork, don't discard the oil. Use that oil to fry the bee hoon. There is a risk of clogging up the arteries and stretching my waistline further but I took the risk anyway. I don't think it's my imagination but my new wok-pan really works better and makes the food tastier. It also require minimal oil and much easier to wash up. I can't stop praising my new kitchen equipment hahaha.

No comments: