OUR ATRINA JOURNEY

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Recent cooks

Besides trying out new dishes for the husband, I do think of something new for the little one too.

There was this day mama decided to make the usual fish and pumpkin a little more interesting by steaming the pumpkin and when it is almost ready, add in the fish to steam together. Scoop some olive oil spread and mash everything together. I decided to try out the olive oil spread since it seems healthier than butter.

This is the outcome. Looks quite good eh?



Angel's hair for her carbo intake. Pasta was cut into bite size and mixed with the pumpkin/fish puree. Verdict: Did she like it? NO!!! Ok nice try. Try harder next time.



Back to adult's menu...

I had a pack of baby kailan in the fridge and thinking how to cook it. Don't want to do stir-fry with oyster sauce again. K not sick of it, I also sick of it. So I decided to be creative.

Step 1: Make golden garlic bits.
Step 2: Fry dried shrimps till brown and nice.
Step 3: Blanch the veggies in boiling water (salt and some oil added into the water to retain a good colur) and mix with pre-prepared seasoning.


Sprinkle 1 & 2 over 3 and this makes a nice vegetable dish. Not too much work and yet makes everyone happy :)



阿晴经济小炒 Part 1: Fried ikan bilis (anchovies).
My sis and I grew up eating this home-cooked dish. I think it was mostly cooked my our father but don't know for what reason, he stopped making it since about 10 years ago. So, there was this day AJ went to 福华 to buy some 干粮 for cooking and decided to try to replicate this ikan bilis dish. And AJ surprised herself cuz at the very first attempt, she succeeded. Even K who usually don't care much for ikan bilis loved it. In fact he was skeptical when he had the first mouth. First reaction was: "You bought it right?" As it happens, he has a wife who often likes to pull his legs (whenever possible), he doesn't believe it when his wife told him she cooked it. Till at least more than 3 times affirmation and a straight face. Another way to look at it, stop looking down on his wife's cooking already!



Ok I must admit it I am quite obsessed with this that I actually cooked it 3 times in a week. 3 times also eat with porridge some more. I had told myself not to finish it. Can keep for a few days in an airtight container was what I told K. I ended up finishing up the whole box. *Secret recipe. Much different from hawker stalls. I have never eaten anything like this outside.*



阿晴经济小炒 Part 2: Spicy stir-fried long bean with dried shrimps.
A simple dish to go with porridge. K seems to like it.



Saw this Korean eggs in the supermarket and I just had to buy it. Korean actors/actresses all look so good not only because of plastic surgery right? Maybe part of the reason is the food they eat? Ok la maybe eating a few Korean eggs won't make the bridge of your nose any higher or your double eyelids deeper... Aiya you know AJ was once a carefree working executive located in town area and shopping during lunchtime or after work was a normal thing to do. Eversince being tied down by a kid, even supermarketing in the neighbourhood also a joy. Some more see new products must try!



Every egg is Korean! Wahaha happy...



Fried rice using Korean eggs. K's share more prawns.



Mine with ikan bilis.



Korean chicken stew. This is not a joke, it's really a Korean dish. I watched a Korean cooking show on Mio TV (Life Inspired channel) months back but never got to do this till few days ago. The real reason I bought the box of Korean chilli paste is for this actually. Really tasty. Want to know why? Beer was added before simmering. Really made the dish nice but the problem after cooking is that I had 2/3 can of beer left and no one drank it. Maybe I will put more beer into the dish the next attempt. Can't wait to cook this again. K likes it so much :)



No comments: